HGI

  • Featured artist: Deborah Baker - I'll Stand

    Play Audio

History

The House of God

The House of God was established early 1914 in Beauford, South Carolina by Bishop R. A. R. Johnson. The House of God was later incorporated on April 4, 1918 in Washington DC. Bishop Johnson was a eloquent religious spokesman and minister of the Church of God in the early 1900's. As a minister, Bishop Johnson searched relentlessly for something to believe in and to commit himself to. The group finally organizing a small religious group called, "Commandment Keepers" in 1910.

Thus was the beginning of what was destined to become, The House of God. Set in definite motion in 1920 in New York City, plans for Bishop Johnson's newly organized group proceeded quickly. Many meetings were held throughout the United States, Africa, Cuba, and Jamaica. Scores of people were receptive to Bishop Johnson's eloquent and passionate messages.During the years that followed, land acquisitions were made and small churches began to appear throughout the United States. Geographical districts were created with state and national coordinators. In 1925 the "Sisters Union" was organized, which lead to the development of the present Missionary Department.

The next decade witnessed the formation of sabbath schools, a church newspaper, a national treasurer, a national secretary and a genuine attitude of achievement.

At the death of Bishop Johnson on August 21, 1940, the church had achieved a creditable level of stability. Bishop Johnson was succeeded by Bishop A. A. Smith, Ph.D., who would eventually be established as the first Chief Apostle of the House of God. New York City became the church's national headquarters under Bishop Smith's administration. The untimely death of Bishop Smith resulted in a wave of dissension and unrest throughout the church. Ultimately there would occur a division of church leadership. Subsequently the churches leadership was divided between Bishop S. P. Rawlings of Lexington, Kentucky, Bishop S. L. Henry of Dayton, Ohio and Bishop M. Baker of Jacksonville, Florida

In 1950, Bishop S. P. Rawlings became the second Chief Apostle of the House of God. Through his deep awareness of contemporary problems and his incisive insight into the nature of man, Bishop Rawlings greatly enhanced the House of God's progress. After the death of Bishop S. P. Rawlings, Bishop F. C. Scott of Lockland, Ohio served as Chief Apostle until his death on March 7, 2005. Bishop James Embry is the current Chief Apostle. The House of God's national temple is located in Lexington, KY.

In the more than five score years that have passed since its establishment, the House of God has expanded its horizon to include several churches throughout the United States, Africa, Canada, Jamaica and Australia.

Come and Visit!

We would love to have you join us for one of our weekly services, quarterly conferences or national meetings. Click on the button below for more information.

866 Georgetown Street
Lexington, KY 40511

Get Directions

View Larger Map